Thursday, October 7, 2010

DSM Fever.

Is it a faux pas to write about your own car? I've wanted to share my experience with some of the vehicles I've owned for some time. This is really about the one that almost got away, three times.


It started out in 1998, 14 years old looking at a shiny, White, mint 92 Plymouth Laser RS AWD, at a used car dealership in Medicine Hat. My first experience with a DSM, or a Diamond Star Motors vehicle, which was a joint venture among Mitsubishi and Chrysler during the nineties. I managed to persuade my Dad to get us a test drive, since I knew what these cars were all about. On the way back, he pulled over to the side of the road and let me drive. On the first stoplight I hit I brought the 195hp 4G63 Turbo up to five grand and proceeded to launch the car so hard the wipers came on. That day I cought DSM fever.



Fast forward two years later, I am 16 and looking for a shiny DSM to call my own. Enter a Blue 1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, with Silver Ground Effects that just happened to be for sale in Athabasca for five Grand. Now, I did not have that kind of money, but I managed to drive up and take a look at the car. Again DSM fever took over but I couldn't quench it.

My turbo travels took me through a few Chrysler Daytonas, but DSM fever still would not die. In 2004, An aquaintence of mine had a Black 92 Talon TSi AWD, and I had managed to convince him that a trade should be in order. Unfortunately for me, the deal fell through and I was once again left without my DSM.

 Now it's April 2010, and I'm looking for a new project to take on. I've already owned Fieros, Daytonas, a Cobalt SS Supercharged, An RX7. I wanted something that I haven't owned. I've never looked at the Second Generation DSM before, but one caught my eye. Maybe it was because It was priced to sell or it had the ugliest front bumper and wheels I've possibly seen on a Talon, but I finally gave in and decided to go for it.

The fever was cured, for the most part. I had purchased a factory replacement bumper, and factory wheels to bring the car back to respectability. New tires, 2.5 inch catback Exhaust and much needed maintenence came in along the way. The driving experience with AWD grip is just unbelieveable, carving through twisties with Lateral grip that would make your innards slosh around like a day old milkshake. DSM fever has broken. What could be next?


1997 EAGLE TALON TSi AWD SPECIFICATIONS (as per wikipedia)
Also called Mitsubishi Eclipse
Production 1995-1999
Platform PJ-body
Engine(s) 2.0 L 420A I4
2.0 L Mitsubishi 4G63T I4
Wheelbase 98.8 in (2510 mm)
Length 1995-96: 172.2 in (4374 mm)
1997-99: 174.8 in (4440 mm)
Width 1995-96: 68.7 in (1745 mm)
1997-99: 69.9 in (1775 mm)
ESi: 68.3 in (1735 mm)
Height 49.8 in (1265 mm)
AWD: 50.5 in (1283 mm)

2 comments:

  1. AAAAaaahh...the DSM fever...what a great sensation! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent template!
    I found many types of beautiful cars word press templates in this blog site.
    I am a big fan of this site.

    Exhaust systems

    ReplyDelete