Thursday, September 2, 2010

Finally Falling in Love.

When the R35 GT-R was first released in 2007, I shook my head and "face palmed."


Why would they replace the RB power plant from the previous R-Chassis Skyline generations with a V6 instead of continuing the RB heritage? I also wasn't happy that they changed to an electronically driven transmission from the now "old school sports car" ways of stick shift. I didn't feel it deserved the badge of "GT-R".

All that I really needed was to see it up close and in person, drive beside it, and listen to it with my own ears ( I've seen a few around the city going opposite ways, but nothing I was ever able to examine) to change my mind. I needed to feel the "awe" of driving beside it, and having it blast by you. I needed to subject to the respect and attention it demands when it's parked in front of you on the street made me realize it that it had all the Skyline heritage it needed.


It still grabs your eye, it still hauls ass, and it still commands respect. What's changed? nothing. Nissan had just implemented evolution to allow it to maintain its predator status within the game.

Before shooting with Cody, I would have said that over the years I had warmed to the car, but still didn't feel that it was in my books as a Skyline predecessor. Sure it was twin turbo'd and sure it was fast, but there was something missing that I couldn't put my finger on. But now that I've I figured it, and realized it was just my own close minded-ness that was hiding it, I can truly accept it for what it is: A GT-R.


Plain and simply put: the R35 is what the GT-R's have always been: a car that grabs your eyes from your rear view mirror and forces you to follow it, as it feeds your mind with wonder while it rips by you on the highway, enticing you to watch it's rear end as it escapes off into the distance... and just as those R32's, R33's, and (track) R34's I have seen in the past, the R35's have got my straining to watch it as it disappears.

- Kevin Stachniak

  
Specs ( as per Wikipedia):

Assembly Tochigi, Tochigi, Japan
Predecessor Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34)
Class Sports car
Body style(s) 2-door coupé
Layout Front engine, all-wheel drive
Platform Premium Midship
Engine(s) 3.8L VR38DETT twin-turbo V6
Transmission(s) 6-speed semi-automatic dual clutch transmission[2]
Wheelbase 2,780 mm (109.4 in)
Length 4,655 mm (183.3 in)
Width 1,895 mm (74.6 in)
Height 1,370 mm (53.9 in)
Curb weight 1,740 kg (3,800 lb)
Designer Shirō Nakamura

2 comments:

  1. Amazing machine. Great article too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'd rather not keep comments containing spam from people who refuse to post their full names, or Identifiable forum handles. I don't discourage constructive criticism, which unfortunately hasn't been provided. We are not writing majors and don't pretend to be. Instead of posting your negative ideas, perhaps your energy would be better spent enjoying the articles for what they are, since the people who brought them to you put valuable time and effort for others to enjoy. Many other people seem to understand this concept, but it is escaping a few at this present time. I hope you continue to enjoy your day and I'll keep moderating the comments as I see fit.

    ReplyDelete